This is my best discovery in a long time, although apparently “everybody’s doing it”, and I’ve just been cluelessly and needlessly avoiding all the “fancier” recipes because they included caramelized onions on their ingredient list. Well, no more! I’ve got baggies upon baggies of caramelized onions frozen and I’ll replenish that supply with another batch when those run out – I can tell this is going to become a regular part of my food prep routine. I’ve even got a Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese & Thyme Fritatta recipe in the works as a result of having these delicious, sweet onions on hand. Stay tuned!
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (I used yellow onions)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the onions to the crockpot and drizzle with the oil, then stir to coat.
- Cook on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally, but only if you think of it.
- Check the onions after 10 hours and let them sit on warm for another hour of so if you like them softer. Mine were perfect after 10 hours, but cooking times vary with different slow cookers.
- Yield is about 4 cups caramelized onions.
- Freeze in freezer-safe bags or containers (I freeze in 1/2 cup portions).