Here’s a simple pesto that will add amazing flavour to roasted veggies, pasta or quinoa salads, as well as grilled meats and fish. You can also just spoon it on a baked potato or sweet potato, or use it as a sandwich spread (Grilled Cheese & Pumpkin Pesto, anyone?)
- 1 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 c packed fresh basil
- 2 small (or 1 large) clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup aged grated cheese (try asiago or parmesan)
- 1/2+ c olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- In a dry pan over medium-low heat, toast the pumpkin seeds, stirring regularly, until fragrant and just slightly browned. Don’t leave them alone for long, you don’t want to burn them! Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a food processor, combine cooled seeds, basil, garlic, cheese and salt and process until blended. Slowly add the oil while processing until a thick paste results. (If you like a smoother pesto, just add more oil).
- Freeze if you like in ice cube trays or 1/4 cup portions for a last-minute pick me up to a basic meal.